Skip to content

swgohindepth Guide to Target Lock

img_1515

Whether you have recently unlocked ships or you have a mediocre squad and are trying to improve, a basic understanding of target lock will serve you well.  As our understanding of the target lock mechanism grows, we can better determine which ships are worth farming and think strategically about kill order and move selection in ship battles.  So let’s break down target lock: how it works, who it works with, and then finally we’ll look at an example of a high level ship arena battle that utilizes target lock beautifully.

It’s best to think about target lock as a two step process: inflict and exploit.  Early on in battles look to inflict target lock so that it can later be exploited.  Depending on our ship selection, exploiting target lock means we can go faster, do more damage, and turn single target attacks into AOE attacks.  Let’s review our own roster’s ship abilities that take advantage of the target lock mechanism below.  Now compare those abilities to that of some your arena opponents.  Are there other options you are interested in looking into more deeply after comparison?  We are only reviewing ship abilities that involve target lock here (for a complete look at all abilities check out this page), but this exercise is a great way to get better at theory crafting squads and farming plans.

Abilities that Inflict Target Lock:

More Reliable

  • Tie Advanced X1: Deal physical damage and inflict target lock permanently, cannot be resisted.
  • Millenium Falcon Unique: If buffed when attacked inflicts target lock on attacker.
  • Scimitar Unique: Whenever an enemy reinforces inflict target lock for two turns on reinforcement ship.
  • Slave1 Basic: 55% double attack chance and each attack has a 55% chance to inflict target lock.
  • First Order Tie Fighter Basic: 45% multi=attack chance and each attack has a 55% chance to inflict target lock.
  • Imperial  Tie Fighter Basic: Deal physical damage with a 70% chance to inflict target lock for two turns.

Less Reliable

  • Bistan’s U-Wing Crew: Inflicts target lock for two turns and cannot be evaded.
  • Biggs Darklighter Basic: Inflicts target lock for two turns on a critical hit.
  • Resistance X-Wing Crew: Inflict target lock for two turns.
  • Cassian’s U-Wing Crew (Threat Assessment): Inflict target lock and tenacity down for two turns.
  • Clone Sargaent’s Arc-170 Basic: Deals physical damage with a 50% chance to inflict target lock.
  • Rex’s Arc-170: If enemy ship has no buffs or debuffs inflict target lock for 2 turns.
  • Sun Fac Basic: If attacking out of turn inflicts target lock for two turns.
  • Umbaran Starfighter Crew: Inflicts target lock for two turns cannot be resisted.

Abilities that Exploit Target Lock

(i.e. Bonus applied when this ship attacks a target locked opponent)

Exploits for AOE Damage

  • Umbaran Starfighter Crew: Deals physical damage to all target locked enemies.
  • Slave1 Crew: Deal physical damage and ability block to all target locked enemies as well as primary target.
  • Endurance Special: Deals physical damage to all target locked enemies with cool down reduction based on number of targets hit.

Exploits for Speed Increase

  • Cassian’s U-Wing Basic: Gains 25% turn meter
  • First Order Tie Pilot Unique: Gains 16.5% turn meter when ANY ally attacks a target locked enemy
  • Plo Koon’s Jedi Starfighter: Grant an ally speed up for two turns.
  • Slave1: Grants 20% turn meter on a critical hit.

Exploits for Increased Single Target Damage

  • Biggs Darklighter’s X-Wing Crew: Calls an assist.
  • Clone Sargeant Arc-170 Crew: Automatic critical hit and cannot be evaded.
  • First Order Tie Pilot Special: Resets cooldown for this attack.
  • Geonesian Soldier’s Starfighter Special: Both this ship and assisting ship deal 25% more damage.
  • Geonesian Spy’s Starfighter Special: Call all stealthed allies to assist.
  • Millenium Falcon Basic: Fire an extra hit.

Exploits for a Buff

  • Biggs Darklighter’s X-Wing Unique: Gain taunt when an enemy is target locked.
  • Ahsoka Tano’s Starfighter Basic: Grant a random ally evasion up for two turns.
  • Jedi Consular: Grant an ally defesne up for two turns.
  • Plo Koon’s Jedi Starfighter Basic: Grant an ally speed up for two turns.

Exploits for a Debuff

  • Resistance X-Wing Basic: Apply expose for 2 turns.
  • Tie Advanced X-1 Basic: Apply two DOTs.
  • Bistan’s U-Wing Basic: Apply tenacity down.
  • Executrix Special: Stun for one turn.
  • Tie Fighter Pilot Special: Inflict buff immunity for two turns
  • Poe Dameron’s X-Wing Basic: Inflict daze for two turns

Exploits for a Dispel

  • Umbaran Starfighter Basic: Dispels all buffs on target.

Let’s put all this together by watching an elite ship arena battle by TeamSkunk Republic’s DeathRattle.  We have added captions to highlight the ways in which DeathRattle’s strategy is relying on target lock and recommend you watch the battle in full screen mode.  Target lock strategies employing SlaveI, Biggs Darklighter’s Starfighter, Tie Fighter, Scimitar, and the Umbaran Starfighter are all featured.

 

 

 

Categories

Ships

Tags

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: